There are many wonderful sculptures in the forest including; the Irish Hare, the Fox, the Badger, the Otter, the Pine Marten, the Frog and the Red Ghosts.
This high arched bridge built during the Norman invasion in the 12th century. There is a strong local belief that the ubiquitous Cromwell crossed over this bridge on his way to attack the Castle of the O'Reilly at Muff a few miles away. The story goes that the keystone of both Muff and Fleming's Castles were marked by an informer and that the walls were then easily breached by Cromwell's guns.
This was originally the residence of the Pratt family until they moved to Cabra Castle (now a hotel) in 1814. It was subsequently retained as a shooting lodge, and contained a beautiful ballroom. It was destroyed in an accidental fire in 1955. Part of the ruin was then converted into a shelter.
This vanished village was situated between Cromwell's Bridge and Cabra Cottage. Before 1760 there was a thriving community of about thirty houses centred around flax and corn mills at Cabra Cottage. With the building of the town of Kingscourt the village was gradually demolished to provide building materials and little now remains.
For a long time, it has been known that ice remains frozen if it is kept cool and dry. This principle was put to good use in Southern Europe in the 16th century and later by the widespread building of ice houses on large estates.
Essentially an ice house was a stone-lined pit well shaded from direct sunlight. They were commonly built on small hills which allowed water from melted ice to rapidly drain away. The Dún a Rí ice house was used by the inhabitants of Cabra Cottage.
In winter one of the duties of the estate workers was to carry ice from the lake and to pack it into the ice house. Such stored ice would keep well into the summer months when it was of use to the household.